Monday, November 14, 2011

FEAR! An Equal Opportunity Tormentor!


I have been in the fitness industry for over 10 years.  With my group fitness credentials I have taught hundreds of step classes, boot camp classes, muscle conditioning classes, kickboxing classes, and even a few dance classes.  A few months ago I participated in training to add both ZUMBA and cycle to my list of formats.  I do not have a problem wearing a microphone, nor do I have a problem being in front of a class (most of the time).   Ok so……With all this in mind, why is it, I ask you, that I am so MASSIVELY AFRAID to get out there and teach a ZUMBA or a cycle/spinning class???  We are talking butterflies the size of semi-trucks! 
Hello, my name is Tabitha and I am a “cycle and ZUMBA instructor virgin”.   Here’s the problem and what goes through my head regularly…  Unless my classes are perfect, there is no way anyone will want to come to them.  So rather than run the risk of being  the ZUMBA or cycle instructor that people DO NOT like, I should stick to what I know and with what I am comfortable doing.  Even though I have taught all the other formats so many times…and you can ask Chelle this…I still always get this flash of fear as I am standing outside the classroom door to go teach…”What if no one wants to come to my party”.  How is that for knocking yourself down!?!?!?! 
Like you all, I have people that I idolize.  Some of my idols are “STUPENDOUSLY WAY AWESOME” fitness instructors.   I have met them in person, taken their classes, and have trained with them to get my new certifications (i.e. – ZUMBA and Cycle).  Their classes are OUT OF THIS WORLD, the best classes I have ever been to.  Thank you JULZ ARNEY, JAY BLAHNIK and VANESSA LUPERCIO!   I am fortunate because they have shared with ME the tools I need to succeed in creating the same magic that they do on a regular basis.  But, stepping out of my comfort zone and putting myself out there in this way is sooooo HARD! 
What if I fail???  Ok now…..WAIT!!! STOP!
With all of the talk about goals and transformation in the last few weeks I decided this weekend that these unhealthy thinking patterns have got to change!!  I need to transform and get my mind in check.  After doing quite a bit of soul searching, talking to other instructors, talking to some of you (Thank You RFF Transformation Participants), and reviewing my tools, I finally have the courage to take the first step.   This step, as it was over 10 years ago when I first started teaching, is to focus on creating and COMPLETING my first class plans in these formats (something I have been struggling to do since I have gotten ZUMBA and cycling certified).  On Sunday, I started with a cycling class.  It took me all day practically, but I am happy to say that my first cycle class plan is DONE!  Next step…..PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE (‘nough said there)!   Then that final and most crucial step… JUMP OFF THE EDGE….get my booty in front of a class and TEACH IT! UGH! 
I know the last one is going to be the hardest.  However, I believe deep down that when I get on the other side of that first class it is going to be one of the most rewarding feelings I have ever had.  In the end, it is going to make all the uncertainty, discomfort, and struggle worth it, because I know that it is something I really enjoy and want to do well.  My first few classes are probably not going to be perfect, but that is why I am a work in progress.  I will continue to work at it and this how I will grow and improve.  Yuck!  Those words tasted like vinegar coming out of the mouth of a perfectionist.  All I want to do is to have fun and influence others in the same way that my idols have influenced me.   The only way I know to achieve this is to have the courage to put myself out there, to try my best, and do everything within my power to conquer these fears...even if I have to do it over and over again.  So here is my mantra for the week…..
COURAGE, do your BEST, and CONQUER!
 Ok, with that said…Let’s get this week started!!

1 comment:

  1. I plan to be in that 1st Cycle/Spin class!!! :-) I'm excited!! Woot!!! :-D
    PS... I'm stealing your mantra this week for my very own.

    ReplyDelete