Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Oh, The Monday Aftermath!


TBC (Total Body Conditioning), as it is taught at our gym, is typically a workout that combines muscle/resistance training with high powered cardio intervals.  I love teaching it because I get to be as creative as I want with the format and the exercises while having a ton of tools at my disposal (i.e. – dumb bells, steps, resistance bands, stability balls etc.)  I am not lying when I say that I will use anything and everything in the room if I think we can build a better body using it…even the lint on the floor if necessary.  After pondering and laying out the plan of yesterday’s class, I decided it would be good to send out a warning…

Tab:  "Hey! You might want to make sure that you leave enough time between snack #2 and TBC class."
Chelle:  "egads! Now I'm scared!"

Halfway through the class I did not realize as to how accurate my statement was going to be.  No joke….it was 60 minutes of non-stop energy (very little rest), great music, and calorie busting hard work.  Here is a rundown of what took place:

Overall Description:  4 Rounds/Stages of Circuits, each done 2x through and each with a theme that may look and sound a little familiar
(if you read yesterday’s blog you will know what I mean):

Warm-up
Stage 1:  GOALS: Think about the goal you want to accomplish during this stage
  • Dumb bell Chest Press
  • Sit-ups – with dumbbells continually pointed up to the ceiling
  • Dumb bell Pullovers
  • Sit-ups – with dumbbells continually pointed up to the ceiling
  • 30 Plank jacks – pretty much a jumping jack in plank position

Stage 2:  COURAGE:  Have the courage to go after your goal
·         Single arm dumb bell squat swings
·         Squats w/ lateral leg lifts
·         Squat thrusts
·         Mountain climbers
·         30s – 1 min Static squat holds

Stage 3:  YOUR BEST: Do your best to get closer to your goal
·         Woodchopper w/ one arm diagonal dumb bell swings
·         Resistance band rows
·         21s – Bicep curls w/ the resistance band
     *7 all the way up & halfway down
     *7 all the way down & half way up
     *7 all the way up & all the way down
·         Bench hops
·         Bench step ups/run ups/jump ups

Stage 4:  CONQUER: ‘Nough Said here!
·         Bench Dips
·         50 Push ups
·         50 Lower half squat pulses
·         30 Butt-ups – You can check this one out here:
·         Plank hold – 1min
Stretch

When we were done, the equipment put away, and everyone was gone, Chelle and I shared a couple of looks that could only translated into one conversation (I love that we share a brain and can have conversations without even uttering a sound)….
“Where is the closet garbage can we can puke in?” :D
Which was followed by...”Now that was a great workout!”
And then finally”But….Who is going to carry us down the stairs to our cars?”  ;)

I have to say…for me, I will have fond thoughts of the queasiness of yesterday every time I go to move and feel the soreness today!  Killer Monday Workout…CHECK!

Bring on Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. It was brutal - maniacal - wussy squashing - and abso-freakin-lutely AWESOME!!! Woot! And yes, I'm feeling it! LOL! Let's do it again! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it that the description makes me want to take the class? Sounds brutal - and great!
    While I am trying my best to plan my food, it still seems like too much. Wondering if we need to trust in the process and if your kcal are near the daily limit, but your protein is a little short, is it better to eat the additional protein even though you'll be over your daily kcal?
    Thanks for any feedback you can provide. Keep doing what you're doing - it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends on how "short" you are on the protein, and what the %'s are of the other macros (fat & carb). The quality of your nutrients also matter, so it's hard to give a blanket "do this". Shoot us an email with more specifics and we'll see if we can point you in the right direction :-) info@recipeforfitness.com

    ReplyDelete