Friday, December 9, 2011

No Pain, No Gain: ABS of Steel Workout!

So, every week I teach a 15 min Abs class followed by a 45 minute Muscle express class.  In that first 15 minutes all we do is ABS ABS ABS.....very little rest, slam 'em and get done.  Yes, it is a challenge and yes, sometimes soreness seems to exponentiatied (is that even a word???) depending on the exercises and order in which we do them. This is EXACTLY what happened this week.  OMG!  The exercises were perfect, the order was perfect, and it hurts soooooooo much to laugh right now!  In an effort to spread the love, I thought I would share with you all what we did so that you also might be able to also partake in the abdominal soreness.  The only equipment that this workout requires is a stability ball, a mat (optional), and YES mental focus to push past the burn!  Keep in mind though that all of these exercises can be adapted to use without a stability ball if you do not have access to one.  Just go ahead and perform them on the floor.  :D


Remember this is a 15 minute circuit style workout.  Move rapidly from one exercise to the next so as to maximize the burn and hit every abdominal muscle fiber that exists! 
NOTE:  SB = Stability Ball


1)  SB Crunches - 30 reps  (http://www.physicalfitnet.com/exercise_video/crunch_on_stability_ball_with_arms_across_chest.aspx)
2)  SB Cross Over (Oblique) Crunch -  30 reps/side(http://www.physicalfitnet.com/exercise_video/crunch_with_rotation_on_stability_ball_with_arms_behind_head.aspx) -3)  SB Reverse Curls - 20 reps
(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAl-awGIzDU&feature=player_embedded)
4)  Plank Walk Ins & Outs (See below for description) - 12 using hands only, 12 using feet only, 12 using both hands and feet
5)  30s rest, then repeat the circuit 2 more times

Plank Walk Ins & Outs - For this exercise, get in plank(push-up) position on hands and feet.  With feet only, move right foot outwards, left foot outward, right foot inward, and then left foot inward.  Repeat 12 times.  Then repeat the same motion only with the hands.  For the final challenge tighten abs and move both hands and feet at the same time.

Feel free to add this circuit to your current workout or do it on its own.  As always, make sure that you warm up before you do it, your form stays good and that you stretch after.

ENJOY!

6 comments:

  1. How awesome! (that of course is my inner hard body talking), but that gives me something to work on!

    Thanks,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELL... at least I can mentally prepare myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @CarmenRenee....Thank you for letting me know. Apparently they discontinued the website the were on. I have edited and posted new links so you can see what the exercises look like :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i tried this and it was awesome...didn't do the planks...and my stomach still hurt the next day. Loved it...can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tabitha - I did this entire workout 3 days ago and I LOVED it!! I have felt really revved up since then. I actually suprised myself. I set my timer for 15 minutes and I actually comepleted the workout in 16 all full reps. Woohoo. I think it helped that I practiced ahead of time on the planks, so glad I did because at one point during practice I moved all my extremities at once. I'm so glad no one saw that one but my cats. LOL I'm still feeling it deep in my abs though - not complaining. it's a GOOD pain. I thought the soreness had faded until I was doing my dumbell lunges at 5:30 this morning. I sure hope you post some more workouts like these. It was amazing!!!! Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete